Sunday, March 22, 2015

All You Really Need is a Pair of Shoes

I ran as a kid on the high school and college cross country teams about 25 years ago, then quit in college to pursue figure skating.  Back then, if you had a Timex Ironman watch, you had top of the line running gear.  You ran in t-shirts and shorts, which were just as likely purchased from Venture as it was from a running store.  There were races, but most were managed by the local running community, and unless the race was a fundraiser, the fees were set at a break-even price point.  I wasn’t naturally talented, so I was thrilled to win a ribbon for placing 14th in the freshman-sophomore county meet.

When I came back 15 years later, the entire running world had changed.  From obstacle courses to national race series to finisher medals, I’m often finding myself lost in a land of expensive gear and races.  I will never forget lining up to run my first Chicago Marathon and seeing people dressed as if they were about to hike Kettle Moraine.  I was wearing the same type of gear I wore in my old cross country days….a shirt, pants, running socks, and running shoes. 

Because at the end of the day, all you need to run is a pair of shoes.

Running is about the feeling of exploring a new trail, of watching the seasons, of being outside, of getting away from the daily grind.  The mile after solitary mile is meditative, allowing time to think and ponder, pounding your frustrations and stresses step by step.  These benefits exist, whether you put $100 or $1000 into it.


While it’s great to see so many people getting involved in the sport and spending money, I do worry that people see the fancy rain jackets and shiny finisher medals and think, “oh, I can’t afford to run.”  Yes, you can.  I have to come up with the travel expenses for five marathons, so I’ll be running it “old school” on the cheap….so if you have a pair of shoes, come join me this summer!  

No comments: